A Facebook friend posted a link to this petition on my wall. The entire content of the ‘petition’?
To: US GOVERNMENT
PUT PRAYER BACK INTO SCHOOLS
IF PRAYER IS PUT BACK INTO SCHOOLS KIDS WOULD BE BETTER AND DO BETTER IN SCHOOLS
And, yes, of course it’s in all capitals.
Let’s quickly count some of the problems with this, shall we?
- Kids can already pray in school; the school just can’t impose prayer on the students.
- What kind of prayer should be “put back” in schools? Christian, presumably; what does that mean for Jewish or Muslim or Hindu students, let alone non-religious students?
- How is prayer supposed to help kids “do better” in school? Will God reveal the test answers to them? Does that count as cheating?
- Since prayer is just talking to oneself, how will that help kids “be better”?
- Oh yeah, there’s that pesky First Amendment thing too.
I don’t know why anyone educated on the issue would consider this a good idea, or why anyone would believe I would support it. But as I write this, there are nearly 100,000 signatures on the petition. And, as Ed Brayton likes to point out, some of these people vote.